12.20.2005

The Strike is Real Deal.

At around 3am, the MTA and other news sources announced the full transit strike of New York City.

Bloomberg projects costs of $400M per DAY.

CNN tells us "The last citywide bus and subway strike in New York was in 1980. The walkout lasted 11 days."

I think I read somewhere Bloomberg had worked the NYC economy up to a projected year-end surplus of some 2.5 billion dollars.

Well that'll be gone in five or six days.

Really impossible to take sides - of course I instinctively want to side with the worker, but I understand the limitations of the employer too. I'm not even attempting to respond in any kind of intelligent way to the details of the breakdown.

From a perspective somewhat farther back, it seems fantastically unbelievable that it ever got to this point.

Seeing NYC crippled right now, from its own inner workings, is quite disheartening.

No comments: